Hello, Mr. Elephant!

Posted by Your Money Buddy On 10:58 AM
Photo source here.




You might find me talking nonsense when I say that there might be one big elephant in our homes, offices, schools, cafeterias, or social halls, etc.

Sometimes, there really is.  And it makes it hard for us to move around. 

The Elephant in the Room.

As people in the room, tell me something we could be talking about.   Work, love, ideas, trees, stars, family, shoelace, nail, weather, computer mouse, food, toothpick, places…name it.  It’s an endless list.  

We even ask “How are you?” a hundred times without really caring about what the response would be. Some would even reply “I’m doing fine” without really meaning it.

We talk about anything under the sun…but not the elephant in the room. 




From Wikipedia:





Sometimes money issues can be a big elephant in the family, between friends, couples, and acquaintances.  Yes, we talk about money.  But how seriously do we do on the issues?

As an analyst for five years, student for 16 school years and… HUMAN for 26 years, I learned of the same techniques on problem solving.  Same first steps, too:  DEFINE THE PROBLEM.  

Correct?  It is. 


But I just realized that there should be something else prior to that:  RECOGNIZE THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM. 


Most of us are silent.  In denial.  Why? Because talking about issues may put us out of our comfort zones.  With this we just let them as they are, and suffice our selves with temporary relieves. 




"Do you know that 90% of your money problems are mind problems?"   -- Bo Sanchez

Taking the first step
I can’t say that I waste money for nothing.  I tell you, I’m not into gimmicks.  I am not fond of buying pricey stuffs just to show off.  I provide a fair enough amount to the family twice a month, not to mention that I support my siblings on their studies.  I also venture out to small ways to earn income.  But then, with the realization that I am not hitting my financial goals, I knew I had a problem.

Then I browsed books and magazines, and explored the World Wide Web.  Finally, I found out about IMG (International Marketing Group), which really houses lots of financial (and spiritual, I can say) mentors whom I learned so much from.  Most of them owe their financial freedom from Bro. Bo Sanchez.  And I am part of the team which roots from his financial coaching.

Bro. Bo Sanchez?  Yeah, I knew him.  I’ve read one of his books. I am one of the worldwide readers who are inspired with his blogs.  But with the new endeavor I’ve just had (financial literacy), I’ve thought of reading more of his books on financial advice.

A new friend
I’ve found a new friend. It seems she knows everything about me.  And how could her pieces of advice be like hands with fingers that could fit any kind of hand of another – tiny or big, hardworking, worried, hopeful, rich or poor? You know what I mean?

I’m talking about his book.  And why did I say “she” and “her”?  Because in his book, I see a reflection of me, put into a transformation process.






I place it beside my pillow.  I read it before starting or ending a day (of course, before or after saying a little prayer)

8 Secrets of the Truly Rich. 

Actually, mine was “8 Sikreto Para Maging Tunay na Mayaman”.  Yeah, it would have been a smoother reading if I bought the English one, but I was price conscious.  It was still Bo’s, by the way.  And I believe they speak of the same language when the audience is the heart.

I love the way it speaks of money so comfortably while teaching to be a servant of God by helping others.  I agree that most people think that acquiring more money is unholy, and it should not be that way.  I’d like to quote this one:

“Walang saysay ang pagiging mayaman para lamang sa kapakanan ng kayamanan. Ang landas na iyon ay tutungo lamang sa kawalan at kalungkutan.”   

I was also moved by the story of Soichiro Honda (the man behind Honda Motors), who did not quit in spite of the hurdles in life.






You want to know further on what the secrets of the rich are?  I suggest you to grab a copy of the book. It teaches everyone the practical ways to earn, save invest money.  It is like a bullet that hits you to the head and then goes directly to the heart. The only difference?  It does not kill you.  It actually makes you live better. 



 “Humanap ng Kampyon na Kabalikat,” Bo is correct. And I've just found another one.

Money is overrated.  I agree.  But isn’t it nice to sit down and ponder (law of focus, you know it?) how to play the ball that keeps rolling in your everyday life? Or would you just let it hit you?



With Bo's book,  you could take the elephant away. 




__________________
Find mentors.  Click here.

















2 Responses to 'Hello, Mr. Elephant!'

  1. Anonymous said...
    http://urmoneybuddy.blogspot.com/2010/10/hello-mr-elephant.html?showComment=1288865715818#c3640026706621285378'> November 4, 2010 at 3:15 AM

    Nice post Lou. Indeed the very first step in solving the problem is accepting that there is a problem. Once we realize that there is something wrong it is natural for us to look for ways to solve it but as the world we know it we always stop when we see barriers thus we end up not solving the problem but shying away from it until it comes face to face with us again over and over.

    It's time to stop the cycle. Put your foot forward and if you make mistake the best thing with it is you learn something and use that knowledge acquired to take the next steps vv

     

  2. http://urmoneybuddy.blogspot.com/2010/10/hello-mr-elephant.html?showComment=1288897091306#c3357468259771209300'> November 4, 2010 at 11:58 AM

    Thank you very much!

    With this simple thing I share, I hope to at least enlighten the readers -- to realize what they want and need, go out of their comfort zones and take action.

    By the way, you have great stuffs on your blog. I've just added you in my reading list. As a newbie in investing, I will surely learn a lot from you.

     

Post a Comment